Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Day 120 Devil's Island, French Guiana

Devil’s Island! Nice name…. This island certainly gained fame in the US with the book by Henri Charriere and subsequent movie, Papillon. Both were excellent. Altogether, 80,000 prisoners were sent to Devil’s Island and only 30,000 survived. The day was very hot and humid but I enjoyed it immensely. What a great place to take photos. I find a lot of beauty in decay. I also saw a number of critters, monkeys, agoutis (big rodents), very large iguanas and some very cool leaf cutter ants. One of the monkeys had almost a human face…. Reminded my of a girl I knew once but that is another story. Tomorrow we have a day at sea and then we sail into Port of Spain, Trinidad

3 comments:

The Mayor..... said...

OK - so what have you done to end up behind bars - - oh - excuse me -looks like solitary confinement!!

Anonymous said...

Is that you with that yellow tank top on? Shame -after the Asia-Pacific
Wayne

Holly said...

Solitary Sepia. heheheheee