Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Day 103 Durban, South Africa

Well this morning was to begin a major highlight for this World Voyage, my Victoria Falls Overland Adventure. I got up at 0330 so I would be sure to be ready to leave the ship when it docked at 0500. This was a good plan except for the fact that we weren't docked on schedule and then..... once we finally got off the ship our transportation failed to show up. There is nothing like spending months of planning and spending a lot of money only to have the tour operator sleep in. We were panicked.... there was no slop in the schedule and there were no taxis at the port at that hour. We finally begged a ride with someone else, left the port after 6:00 am and made it to the airport in time to catch our flight. The flight to Johannesburg and to Livingstone, Zambia was great... The drive to the hotel took us through the town of Livingstone which was fairly small and quit. We wasted no time and checked into the Zambezi Sun Hotel and got ready for our first tour. During that process I was made “Chief” of a local band of warriors pictured with me. These guys were great… every time they saw me they called out “Chief”. For me, getting ready for the first tour meant walking around the grounds looking for photos and running down to catch an up close first real look at the falls…. Very impressive! First up for tours was a sundowner cruiser on the Zambezi River. It was a great trip and a lot of fun. There wasn't a lot of wildlife to see because the river if overflowing its banks. The river is at its highest level in 50 years. That means the falls are just overflowing.... I was excited to catch my first shots of the falls today but that was just the beginning.... What a day!

2 comments:

Holly said...

Damn I hate that Chief title.

No way am I going to bend over and kiss your ring or anything else for that matter.

Anonymous said...

Hi "Chief":
I think "chief" in S African means "lunch"!
These pictures are fantastic. I'm running out of adjectives to describe them. They all just get better and better.
B-FL