Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Day 104 Victoria Falls, Zambia

This morning I got up early and walked down to the falls for a very close look.... How close? I got so drenched that even my insides were wet... What an amazing sight. This early morning jaunt was just a preview of the days activities... At 0830 I had a walking tour of the falls scheduled so I got a more in depth look at the falls. I had my first tour with a great guide, Steven… We spent a lot of time with him an he was sensational. Anyway, I digress… back to the falls… The volume of water is simply amazing. After my tour of the falls I was picked up and taken to Zimbabwe. I know it’s a scary place right now but I couldn't come all this way and at least go over and check out the falls for that side... It was a trip well worth the time (and expense). The falls from that side are quite amazing. I spent about 1 1/2 hours in the park touring the falls and then came back to Zambia, walking across the bridge. I made it back just in time for my pickup for my helicopter ride over the falls. What a spectacular view. The flight was only 15 - 20 minutes long but I managed to click off over a 100 photos. The view from the air is breathtaking... I then came back to the hotel and had lunch. After lunch it was off again, this time for an Elephant Back Safari. I rode an elephant named Danny, a full grown African male elephant. He was one very large elephant. Our trek was probably an hour and a half long and we even trudged through the Zambezi ducking the branches and the spider webs with nasty looking creatures. It was so much fun and after the ride we gave our elephants a treat, feeding them. There was a baby elephant that would come along side and stick his trunk up around my leg to get food…. Talk about getting slimmed. What an incredible interaction. This was definitely and action packed day... Tomorrow we go to Botswana to the Chobe Game reserve where we will spend half the day on the water and the other half on the land. I hope we see some interesting critters... This has been an incredible journey so far... (I will catch up with the blog in the next 2 days….sorry)

8 comments:

Jean said...

Jeff,

AWESOME!!!

THANKS!
Jean & Doug

Sweets said...

WOW WOW WOW!!!! I don't know how you could top those photos, but I can't wait to see the rest.

Rie said...

Jeff! I am so enjoying all the amazing pictures (LOVE the Cheetahs and the candid people shots, and that darling tortoise seemingly straining his neck to look at you!) and your blog entries since I spoke with you last - can it be 3 months - January?!

Hector's group is keeping me intensely busy. Hector has a team meeting next week - don't you just miss those!

I'm so happy you are having the time of your life - again! And I'm grateful you are safe. Take care and keep on taking those fab photos.

Regards, Rie

Of course: Happy Belated Birthday!

Holly said...

Sorry? You have to say sorry? Dang we should all be thanking our lucky stars you take the time to bring us along!!

Susan said...

Wow! These are some amazing shots!! Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chief:
I agree with Holly, don't say "Sorry". Your loyal fans wait patiently for the next entries and are happy you are enjoying yourself.
My Mom was over yesterday. I showed her your blog. For two hours she sat and looked at them. She so enjoyed them, I had to drag her away from the computer. Of course, with the promise to let her view additional pix next time.
I think your Africa pictures are my favorite!
B_FL

Kim said...

Jeff,

Amazing, thank you for sharing your wonderful voyage. I am truly inspired.

Vickie M said...

Jeff
These are some of your best photos yet. I echo the thanks from others who appreciate you taking the time to post. It's fun to keep up with you travel. Keep Safe in you travels. Vickie M