Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Day 113 St Helena, United Kingdom




Today started out pretty good. I was on the first tender ashore in St Helena to take my Napoleon's St. Helena tour. All was well until we got toward the top of the mountain and the bus broke down. We sat there for half an hour without out too many details as to when a replacement bus would come. The bus driver got in another vehicle and headed off to parts unknown, apparently to get a bus so I left. I wasn’t going to just sit there and burn up my time on St Helena. I walked down the mountain and arrived at the port about 40 minutes later and reported the situation to the shore excursion personnel. Of course no mention was made of any kind of reimbursement for my tour gone bad. You would think they would refund my $75 without even being asked…. I then wandered around town a bit and then headed up Jacob’s Ladder…. What a climb! After my stroll down the mountain this was a pretty good challenge going up and down the steps. I successfully completed the challenge and got my certificate. I ran into my friends Art & Yvonne who bought me a cold diet drink which never tasted so good after the hike up & down the mountain. Ron & Glenda came by and joined us for a drink and we had a really nice time there. Ron, Glenda & I decided to get a taxi and tour around a bit (take the same tour I had to walk away from in the morning). We hooked up a tour and did the highlights for St Helena…. Napoleon’s tomb, his house and the Plantation House,the stately home of the island's Governor and his tortoises. It was a nice tour and then we headed back to town and back to the ship. Nice day except for the HAL shore excursion….

2 comments:

Jo Ann said...

Looks like your kind of day ... sunny and glorious!

Jo Ann said...

Hey Jeff ... it looks like your kind of day: Sunny and glorious! Glad you have gotten a bit of exercise before heading across the Atlantic!