Monday, April 27, 2009

Day 112 At Sea







Today was a pretty good day. We had sun most of the day and the temps were good. Tomorrow at 0800 we are scheduled into St Helena, United Kingdom. I will be doing a tour and then possibly making an attempt at climbing Jacobs Ladder…. 699 steps and 900 feet, pretty much a vertical climb. Here is a description of the tour: Napoleon's St. Helena
Discover St. Helena's highlights and its historic association with Napoleon Bonaparte. You'll begin with a bird's-eye view of the island's capital nestled in a deep volcanic valley. Continue along Side Path Road, one of the two roads out of Jamestown, to view a heart-shaped waterfall. You'll also see Briars Pavilion, where Napoleon spent the first few months of his exile. The room that Napoleon occupied is now a museum. Appreciate the beautiful flora as you travel to Napoleon's tomb. Disembark your minibus for a short walk to the tomb, located in the spot which the "little emperor" himself chose as his final resting place in 1821. His body was exhumed and returned to France in 1840. From the tomb, it's just a short drive to Napoleon's House, originally a barn but converted to a livable house when Napoleon was exiled to the Island in 1815. This nine bedroom dwelling includes a library and a billiard room which includes original table cues used by Napoleon. From Sandy Bay Ridges take in the spectacular views of Plantation House built in 1792--the stately home of the island's Governor. From here, the drive takes you through Half Tree Hollow to the remarkable 600-step Jacobs Ladder.
Jacobs Ladder was built in 1829 and is Jamestown's signature landmark. It is a long and steep flight of steps linking the downtown area with the residences that are high up on the cliff top above town. If you are game to use the "ladder," you can leave the tour at the top and descend into town on foot, or return to Jamestown by minibus.
You may be wondering why the 3 photos are here, well it’s time for the photo contest. I am going to enter a photo in each of the 3 categories; wildlife, landscapes and people/life. I think these three are pretty good but if you have seen others in the blog which you think are better let me know. My best friend, Randy, gave me a suggestion during the Grand Asia Voyage and that photo came in first place. Trust me, after 20,000 photos on this voyage I may overlook a particularly good one.

5 comments:

Jean said...

Jeff,
Don't know how you pick the photos you post .... they are DRAMATIC .... have been with you & know you take many of one subject!
THANKS!
We are so enjoying your trip & wish we were along!

Take care,
Jean & Doug

Mardie said...

All of your photos have been beautiful! I would also consider the gaping-mouthed hippo for wildlife and/or one of the Victoria Falls shots with the rainbow in it for landscape. Good luck!

Side note, I've been lurking on this blog since the beginning of your voyage and have truly enjoyed seeing your trip unfold. Thanks for being so diligent with it! :)

Mardie, 28, New York City

Holly said...

In my humble opinion I think that maybe one of your other dune pictures could be a bit better because it has more contrast. But I don't know to let you know which one I'm thinking about. Do I just tell you the day and the number of pictures down??

W CUBED said...

HEY JEFF,

I THINK THAT YOUR CHOICES ARE GREAT, BUT YOU MIGHT WANT TO RE VISIT DAY 102, IN RICHARD'S BAY....THE CHEETAH AND BABY, AND DAY 105, IN BOTSWANA....TWO THERE ARE OF THE WART HOG IN THE MUD HOLE, AND I ALSO LIKED THE GAPE-MOUTHED HIPPO...

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK...AND CATCH SOME RAYS FOR ME...

W CUBED

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
All of your pictures are wonderful, I just do not know how you narrow it down. I really like the picture from Feb. 15, Day 41, Adelaide, Australia
it is the pictures of two girls, a blonde and dark haired girl. There is just something about that picture that really caught my attention.

Angie