Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 6 Panama Canal Transit

Today we had a pretty nice transit of the Panama Canal. The thing I really didn’t like was getting up at 5:30 in the morning. Last night we lost an hour as we rolled the clocks forward and dummy (me) stayed up way too late…. Oh well. I really like being on the forward decks early in the morning as we approach the Gatun Locks while it is still fairly dark and the lights are on. It can make for a pretty good photo. The day started out with some pretty good showers and it rained on and off during the day. Good thing I had my trusty umbrella for the camera. Despite the fact that I have transited the canal countless times I still watch the whole thing standing on the forward decks, going to the aft decks and back and forth all day. It is great exercise but ends up a fairly tiresome day. Anyway, the transit was pretty nice and it is pretty noticeable since my last transit that progress continues to be made on the new locks. The thing that was most noticeable was the red earth color of the water. They have had extraordinarily heavy rains and the runoff makes the canal look more like the Amazon River…. I understand from Christel & Henk that my Dutch Grandfather was watching us today on the canal webcams. I hope you and your lovely bride enjoyed our transit. It was a good day to drink Heineken…. and diet coke. South America here we come....

7 comments:

guy d said...

I envy you jeff. I am looking forward to my transit of the canal in april. I leave for the rotterdam on april 17th for 30 days to lima and return to lauderdale on may 17th. It's a roundtrip Ft lauderdale

Jennie said...

Jeff,

Great photos, especially those taken in the early morning, well worth not having as much sleep as you would have preferred.

We will be going through the Panama Canal in late April though in the opposite direction. This time around I would have liked to have gone from the Atlantic to the Pacific like you.

Jennie

Rosemary said...

Love your early AM photos. I've only been through a few times, but I find in facinating. ENJOY

Anonymous said...

your pictures are extraordinary, thank you for taking the time to post them. I am really enjoying your blog, can't wait for the next port.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,
Fantastic photos of the Canal transit. I caught up with the
Amsterdam at the Centennial Bridge webcam. Wish the weather had been better for you. I love watching all the freighters pass through. The canal is truly an engineering marvel.
Glad things are going well for you.
We're expecting 12-18 inches of the white stuff tonight'
BVH-Groton, Ct

Holly said...

I agree with the photo comments as well and I am glad you got up so early so that you could share them. Compared to a Fiesta morning you got to sleep in some!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for waking up early, even though you've been through the canals a good number of times. I've never been and don't think I'd ever get tired of watching such a marvel. Glad your Dutch grandfather got to watch via the webcams - he must be proud of you!

Michelle